Friday, March 27, 2015

Ways I Save Space (Mom Edition)

It is hard to save on space, especially when you are a parent. Right now in the space I live I have lots of little awkward wall space. The fact that I also have two children also makes saving space hard becaus toys can end up everywhere.

One rule I have for my family is that if toys come in, toys must go out. Whenever a birthday or Christmas happens we go through all their old toys. We keep whatever is loved or used often and get rid of everything else. When my kids get new stuff they have enough to store it. This can sometimes be hard to follow, but if you take a week before a birthday party it can be much easier. I have done it each time before Christmas and never run into the problem of not having a place to put my kids new toys.
(This also applies for clothes. But I have a hard time following this one. I still find new born clothes in my 2 year old son's drawers.)

Another spot that seems to take a lot of space is the diaper changing station. When I had my daughter I found having a diaper changing station was really more a hassle than helpful. It took up a lot of room, the shelf space could only store so much and it was a piece of furniture I would only use for so long. 

When I had my daughter I used a changing cushion on a dresser she uses now as her regualer dresser. It used a space I was already using and freed more room in her nursery which was literally a large closet at the time. However when my son came along I found it much easier to store my diapers and wipes in a garden shelf I got at Hobby Lobby for 80% off. I could just grab what I needed and change his diaper right on my bed. 

Now for the thing I swear by. A great way I save space and have easy clean up is lots of those storage ottomens. I swear by those things. Square or circle or retangle, they all store toys perfectly for easy clean up and out of sight. I have three I keep in my livingroom. Each child gets one ottoman and another is filled with my husband extra game controllers. Its extra seating when we hae guests and again perfect hiding storage! 

Also in the pictures on the right are mugs of pens and brushes. I wish I could say I keep cute containers, but nothing beats a large with handle. I use my mugs to carry my pens and paint brushes more than I do my tea or coffee. Nothing beat having that handle, at least for me.

Anyways, these are just a few ways I save on space. Each person is different and each house is different so their are no one set of rules or instructions that fit every home. Hopefully these can help you or inspire you to find ways to save on space in your own home.

Stay Creative and Inspired.

~Nata

No comments:

Post a Comment